The breathe API uses the JSON-over-HTTP architecture that is widely used within web-based API system. Broadly, this means that:
- The type of action to be carried out is determined by a request’s URL and its HTTP method
- Any data to be submitted is sent in the form of a JSON document in the body of a POST request
- Additional parameters may be sent in the URL query string
- All responses are in the form of JSON documents
- The HTTP response code will give additional information as to the outcome of the request
Over the following pages we will detail the conventions used within the breathe API.